So, one of my “new” things this year is that I’m trying to get various certifications for the IT industry. The first one I’m trying to get is the CompTIA Cloud + certification. I’m both excited and nervous to say that I’ve scheduled my test for Thursday, April 19th. I’m not sure I’m ready, but I’m definitely going to try.
I don’t want to admit it, but I’m nervous. I seem to be doing well in the practice tests. But I don’t feel like I’ve studied everything I need to. What if I miss it all? What if I fail?
And so I know I need to study, but at the same time, I’m concerned that I won’t concentrate like I need to. I’ve started binge watching a TV show (thanks Netflix), and it’s distracting me. So, do I postpone my test, and study a little more, or do I keep going with my scheduled test?
And Dale and I are taking our first vacation in years. So we’re trying to decide where to go. So that’s occupying part of my thoughts. We’re thinking we’re going to go North or West for our trip. Like Colorado. Or South Dakota.
Which brings me to the real reason for tonight’s post.
Reasons I love Dale:
214. He is a great encourager. He has encouraged me from Day 1 to take this test. He’s keeping me sane while I get ready for it.
215. He’s actually pretty imaginative. We play D&D with a group of friends. He introduced a new character tonight, and he’s pretty excited about it.
216. He’s very helpful around the house. If I need help, he does whatever I need. Today, he did the laundry.
I love my husband. He’s my best friend. I’m glad I’m doing this series for him.
Photo by Marc Mueller on Unsplash
So I have an anniversary of sorts. And I hope that you will all celebrate with me.
I have been at my job for exactly one year.
Now why is this a big thing for me? Because it’s a “new” thing for me. This is the first job I’ve ever had that I’ve had for an entire year.
I’ve been a temp at multiple places like Sealy Mattress Factory, Ark-La-Tex Gas, Airline Lawn & Pool, some warehouse that I don’t even remember the name. I’ve been a stay at home mom for 15 years, which some would say is a job in and of itself. I’ve had odd jobs like working at Maggie Moo’s or a gas station, but I have never had one job for more than a year. So I’m pretty excited to have reached this milestone.
When I walked into Bed Bath and Beyond to fill out an application, I expected to get a call to come in to get an interview. I never expected to get an interview right after I filled out the application! I am thankful to Syndy for connecting with me as a mother and realizing that I was a hard worker. I am very grateful to Peter for taking a chance on me and hiring me. I’m grateful to Tim and Jason for teaching me this past year. I’ve made so many friends this year, like Tara, and Melissa, and Michelle.
It’s been a great year. I’ll let you know when I get my “annual” review and what they say.
Reasons I love Dale:
211. He always takes time to text me throughout the day. It makes me feel special.
212. He is a great song leader. He’s very energetic and he makes people smile.
213. He always takes time to help me. If I need something from the grocery store, he will stop and get it for me.
Have a great day everyone.
I must be getting better at guessing.
Okay, let me explain. I’m taking a course that will hopefully help me to pass the Cloud + exam and get a certificate. Only, I know next to nothing about cloud services. The class is divided up into 4 units, if you will, with each unit being broken down into different modules. Each module is broken down into different chapters, and each chapter has several sections. Are you with me so far?
I have to take a pre-test on each chapter before I can start watching that chapter. Then I can watch each section and then take the test again at the end of the chapter, and pass with an 80% before I go on to the next chapter. And I have to have an 80% on all of the chapters in order to pass the module and go on to the next module.
Anyway, back to my point. Back when I started in November with the Network + class, my pre-test scores were awful. Routinely, 30-40%. And it’s sort of to be expected, because it’s material I’ve not been exposed to, stuff I’ve never learned.
My current unit is on AWS, or Amazon Web Services. My current module is on “Architecting on AWS: IAM and Object Storage.” Really, my only exposure to AWS was the last module “Getting Started with AWS.”
So I get a little excited when my pretest score is 76%. Either, I’m getting better at guessing, or something has stuck somewhere. Now to go watch the chapter and take the test again.
Reasons I love Dale:
208. He helps me with tasks I don’t like doing. I don’t like making a budget. He helps me by facing it together.
209. He has been so supportive of me taking these classes and studying IT. I know I can ask him just about anything, and he will try to explain it.
210. His favorite composer is Beethoven. So is mine. Enough said.
Okay, I have a bit more work to do before I start supper for the night. We’re going to work on the stinky budget after supper.
I can’t think of a clever title today. So today is simply… today. I went to work. I edited some pictures. I talked to my little sister. I studied some more. I applied for a scholarship. Dale and I went to a parent teacher conference. I am having a good conversation with Boo. It’s a day.
Now about my project: it’s starting to get difficult. Not because I love Dale any less, but because I find myself repeating things and not being as unique or as creative as I would like. So I’m going to try to be more like my friend Kelly, who is my accountability partner in this. She tells me about her husband’s actions, which tells me about him as well as the characteristics she mentions.
Reasons I love Dale:
201. He does things like go to parent teacher conferences with me. If we have to stop homeschooling, then he makes these things more bearable.
202. He cooks supper with me. I tend to forget when I’m studying or busy, so he helps me with finishing things or cooking while I finish up my work.
203. He told me to go help my sister, no questions asked. It really meant a lot to me. And he took care of the house and the girls while I was gone, including making sure Boo had a good birthday.
204. He is one of the corniest people I know. I love his sense of humor.
205. When one of the girls asks him for help with “women things,” he doesn’t complain and tries his best to get the right stuff. As one of the girls said, “It’s a little thing, but it means a lot to me.”
206. When the youngest daughter was sick today, he took her to the doctor. I wrote him a note before I left for work, but he didn’t see it. He took her of his own volition.
207. And he is very supportive of my work and play. When I said I wanted to stop and take pictures on the way home, he didn’t blink an eye. He told me to have fun. So I did.
That’s all I have for tonight. I’m trying to keep up. My trip this weekend kept me pretty busy. But I think you would agree it was worth it.
Got your attention, didn’t I? I had a friend that posted the following on Facebook this morning:
If all people claiming to be followers of Christ read their bible even half as much as they read Facebook….what goes in must come out
I am convicted.
I am on Facebook entirely too much to be in a healthy relationship with God. I’m going to follow Dale’s example and try not to be on Facebook as much. I don’t know if I will be successful in my attempt, but I’m going to try.
What does that look like? Well, deleting the app from my phone so that it’s not the first thing I turn to in the morning, mid-morning, afternoon, evening, before bed. It’s only checking Facebook if I’m on my laptop.
It’s putting my Bible app in the place that Facebook used to be and turning to it, first. It’s taking the opportunity to read my Bible instead of Facebook.
Reasons I love Dale:
194. He is very supportive.
195. He is family oriented.
Example for 194 and 195: My little sister asked me to come help her out for a few days. He didn’t hesitate in telling me to go.
196. He is caring. He’s having a bit of trouble at work with a co-worker, and it’s primarily because he doesn’t want to hurt the co-worker’s feelings.
197. I love the way he starts randomly singing in the middle of nowhere.
198. His complete lack of attention. We’ve been talking about Winterjam being the same weekend as Boo’s birthday, and about Princess’s boyfriend, Prince and his family coming for Winterjam, for probably a month. But when I reminded him about it today, he had no clue. It frustrates me, but it’s also part of who he is, and I love him for it.
199. And his complete attention to detail. He works really hard at work and makes sure the little things get taken care of. Sometimes, because he’s the only one who takes care of them.
200. He loves his mom. That means a lot to me.
If you have read this far, I have a favor to ask of you. If you could, please pray for my little sister Amber and her wife Andra. Andra has breast cancer and is having difficulties with her chemotherapy treatments. She’s in the hospital right now with a pretty severe infection. I’m headed down tomorrow to give Amber a bit of break with the baby. Thank you.