New family member!

This is a story I simply have to tell before I do anything else.  I’m gonna burst with excitement.

So last week, Wednesday to be exact, Dale is on his way home on his bike.  He called me and said, “I have a follower and I’m not sure what to do.  Can you pick me up?” Okay, I’m on my way.  But as I’m driving to pick him up, I’m thinking all sorts of crazy thoughts.  We had been watching Flashpoint, and I was terrified he had been kidnapped. 

I pulled up, and he showed me the little black dog that had been following him.  She was as sweet as all get out.  We were able to take her to the vet before they closed for the night.

She had a microchip.

Which is good for her, and good for her owners, but bad for Dale.

For that 30 minutes that the dog followed him, and my coming to get him, and taking her to the vet, Dale had a dog. 

My silly husband who protests that he doesn’t like animals  got attached to a dog.

I asked him Thursday night if he wanted to go look at a shelter, and he insisted he didn’t.

So, we’re sitting on the couch just chilling out Saturday morning, when I looked over to see what he was doing on the computer.

He was looking at dog pictures.  ROFLOL

So, I got him and the girls up and out the door.  First we went to Brookside Barkery and Bath, where one of the local shelters was showing and adopting dogs.  We almost came home with Drummer or Charley Horse.

Next, we went to Wayside Waifs.  We went up and down their kennel areas.  We looked at all the dogs.  We picked 2 to meet.  Dolly and Holly.  Dolly was a cattle dog mix and loved her toys.  Holly looked like a whippet mix, and was fairly shy.  We played with both dogs.  We ran outside with both dogs.  We couldn’t decide.

But the good thing about Wayside Waifs is that they want you to have a dog-to-dog meeting before you adopt.  So regardless, we had to go back to get Nana.

Keep in mind, we left our house at 10:40.  When we got back into Independence at 2:00, we decided to go have lunch at our favorite restaurant Square Pizza and talk about which we liked best.  We picked up Nana and got back to the shelter at 3:00.

As we were walking in the door, Holly and her new owners were walking out.  Oh well, and congratulations. 

So, we did the dog-to-dog meeting with Dolly.

Surprisingly, we didn’t know Nana was a herding dog until we saw her herding us.  First she herded Dolly away from us, then she herded us away from Dolly.  We had lots of concerns with having two dogs, and asked lots of questions on how to handle the two of them.

But at 5:30, we left the shelter with Dolly, that Dale has re-named Skye. 

Meet the newest member of our pack!

The thing about cattle dogs is they have a LOT of energy.  They are what César Millan would call “high energy.” One of the best ways to get rid of that energy so that you don’t have destructive behaviors is to give them lots of exercise.  So Dale and I have been waking up early (5:00 am) to walk both dogs.  We’ve been increasing our distance every time.  We walked just over 2 miles this morning.

Skye looks like she would have a lot of fun on an agility course, but that probably won’t happen until next spring after we’ve had some time to work on her with training.  We know that she loves chasing tennis balls and Frisbees.  And already, all of us have spent more time outside exercising with her than probably in the past month. 

She is a good addition to our family, but more importantly…..

Dale has a dog.